Saturday 5 March 2016

How To Stick To Your Goals When You’ve Lost Motivation

How To Stick To Your Goals When You've Lost Motivation


In the beginning you get excited at the thought of achieving goals you've set for yourself.


You start writing them down, writing out a plan, and listing out habits to adopt.


Then after a couple of months, a year, or a few years, your motivation hits the ground like a pile of bricks.


All of sudden you're no longer motivated enough to keep pursuing it.


What's that about? You might ask. Followed by a bit of frustration and confusion.


The solution? We'll get into that. But before I do, let's look at the reasons WHY you've lost the drive to pursue your goals.


 


1. Your goals aren't big enough.


"Set a goal so big that you can't achieve it until you grow into the person who can." - Unknown


If your goals aren't big enough you won't be excited enough to pursue them. As Jim Rohn said, some people have goals, but they're so lousy that they're unexciting.


I'll give you an example. If your goal is to lose a pound of weight, raise the bar to 5 pounds of weight. Just imagine what a difference it'll make.


If your goal is to close 2 deals this month, raise the bar to 20 deals or more.


If your goal is to become an athlete, adjust the goal to "become a world-class athlete who's known in 20 different countries".


 


2. Your reasons aren't meaningful enough.


A lot of us would LOVE to be a millionaire, yet aren't willing to do the work. Why? Because of a lack of strong reasons.


Materialistic gains like a big house or a big car just isn't enough to keep you driven.


The same principle can be applied to your goals and dreams. If the reason you want to succeed isn't meaningful enough, your motivation won't last.


You need more than just a basic reason if you expect to be driven to achieve your goals.


My reasons for success is to leave a memorable, inspiring legacy behind.


I want to take care of my family and do the things I care about without limitations.


I want to make a difference though the work I create and the businesses I start.


Those reasons inevitably keep me going. What are your reasons? Dig deep and you'll find them.


 


3. The reward isn't big enough.


My multi-millionaire goal will allow me to contribute on a tremendous scale. And will allow me to fulfill my purpose in a much bigger way.


So the reward is more than big enough to keep me going.


And even If I came up short, I'd have accomplished more than I would have If my goals were smaller.


If the reward for your goal isn't life-changing, you won't be motivated enough to achieve it.


Goals need to be life-changing, enhancing, drastic and noticeable. Or else the end result will be more depressing than it will be encouraging.


 


Now we've covered the reasons WHY, here's how to stick to your goals when you've lost motivation.


 


1. Redefine your goals.


"If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you." - Unknown


Take a look at your list of goals, or whichever goals you're focused on, then redefine them.


Change them. Adjust them a little bit. Improve on them. And make them even bigger, badder, and more meaningful.


The best way to redefine your goals is to look at the results you want from your goals. And I mean the REAL results. Not just "nice to" have's.


Then recreate your goals to match the results you want, and get to work.


 


2. Ask better questions.


"Knowledge is having the right answer. Intelligence is asking the right question." - Unknown


Don't just ask questions like - "What are my goals?". Ask questions like:



  1. Who am I doing this for?

  2. What am I doing this for?

  3. Why does this matter?

  4. What is it I truly care about?

  5. What difference do I intend to make?

  6. Who will this help?

  7. How will this improve my life?

  8. What are benefits?

  9. Who benefits?

  10. Is this fulfilling?

  11. Does this truly align with my purpose?


These are real questions you've got to start asking yourself. Have a serious think about it. The answers will surprise you, and will be of a better quality.


 


Share your takeaways in the comments, and share on your social networks!


----


Theo Ellis is a straightforward blogger who’s creative by nature, and committed to making a difference. He focuses on confidence building and personal development on his blog Just Be Real.


The post How To Stick To Your Goals When You’ve Lost Motivation appeared first on Pick the Brain | Motivation and Self Improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment